06 August 2012

monday {finally}


handmade black/tan print skirt   ·   gap button-down
target necklace {thrifted target stock}   ·   jessica simpson oscar pumps {thrifted}

finally / for as long as i have been sewing {only about a year}, i've wanted to learn how to make structured skirts from a pattern that look a little more polished than the elastic waistband skirts i have made that i wear at least once a week.  with my mom's help last week, i finally made one from simplicity 2451.  i couldn't be happier with this skirt!  i made a size larger than i thought i needed since i didn't pre-wash the fabric, but after getting worried once the side seams came together that it would be too large, i added a little center pleat and adjusted the waistband.  the length was a little short for my preference so we made a short hem with a pack of brand new iron-on hem tape i found at the goodwill. the zipper i used was part of my secret santa gift from my friend viktoria and my mom got me the fabric from joann's for my birthday.  i love that this skirt came together from a 99¢ pattern with gifted fabric & zipper and thrifted hem tape.  in my mind, that made it all the more perfect!

here are a couple more detail shots of the back vent & zipper:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment